The flight
into Hyderabad from Singapore was the first meditative travel experience of
this trip. I woke just in time to look out the window and see Orion’s Belt as
clear as could be, a spectacular lightening display from above, and a shooting
star. It was like the time I was waiting for the Hood Canal bridge to close as
a submarine passed through on its way out to sea with the American flag raised,
and a freaking bald eagle flew past as if on cue.
I’m staying
these four days with my postdoc’s family…just about all of them. The families
of three brothers live on the same property that’s been in their family for
eight generations. They say that they are the last descendants of civil
servants of the Nizam monarchy of Hyderabad who still live in the original old
part of the city. The cluster of houses are on narrow paths behind a common
gate and range in age of modernization from the original home that the brothers
were raised in, which is painted three shades of the ocean and has all the signs of ancient construction, to this house
that was re-completed just over a year ago. Each morning I’ve awakened first to
the sounds of the Muslim call to prayer broadcast at 5 am from a mosque about a
quarter mile away. It’s easy to fall asleep again and to be awakened a couple of
hours later by the sounds of cooking and cleaning in the kitchen and the music
played by the woman who helps Adi’s parents with the house. I haven’t felt this
peaceful in ages.
Yesterday
after breakfast, we went into the center of this old part of town to see the
Charminar monument and to walk about the markets. The Charminar is a
four-minaret monument that was finished in 1591 to commemorate the end of a great
plague. In all four directions from the Charminar, the streets extend through
shops selling traditional Hyderabadi bangles in one direction and pearl jewelry
in another. It seems strange that the almost geographic center of India would
be known for its pearls, but it’s apparently a centuries held tradition dating
back to the monarchy. The bangles are the craft that predominantly marks
Hyderabad today. They’re set about a metal loop that is coated in a sort of
laquer and set with dozens or hundreds of small glass rhinestones. They’re in
all colors and patterns and line the forearms of Indian women. No doubt many
will be coming home with me.
Food…all of
it. My first food experience wasn’t a sensation of taste but rather of sound.
Adi guided me toward the sound of perfectly rhythmic pounding in a small street
front shop with a man sorting stacks and stacks of papers and two men on the
floor behind him each repeatedly striking a thick piece of what looked like
leather with a small mallet in perfect alternation. The stacks of paper are interleaved with ultrathin sheets of silver foil. It’s one of the few
remaining shops that manually pounds pieces of silver into the thin sheets that
get laid on top of many of the traditional Indian sweets. I stood there for a
moment listening to the rhythm with my eyes closed to appreciate this third
meditative travel moment.
More food with milky chai, and lots of it. Warm samosas with spicy lentils, potatoes, and
onions. Osmania biscuits that are slightly sweet and a little salty and a lot
of perfect. A delectable pillow resting in pistachio/saffron/cardamom cream that first
has the texture of a grain pastry and gives itself away as cheese curd only
when it squeaks slightly between your teeth. And Adi’s mom’s curries…she’s an
amazing cook. Even the goat testicles and kidneys were palatable (sorry to
those of you who were so enjoying my food descriptions until that last one.) Each
day they are giving me a “challenging food” to test my adventurousness. If they
hadn’t told me I was eating testicle, I could have put back several, because
they were so well-seasoned.
All is wonderful except for the mosquitos. They're bastards. I'm not taking an anti-malarial in part because I could also get dengue or Chikigunya, so I might as well just do my best to not get bitten. This place is a real test of mosquito repellent, and I do seem to have an invisible shield of about six inches around me that keeps them buzzing near but not too near. It's like having an annoying sibling flying about constantly saying "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you..."

2 comments:
Sorry about the mosquitos. It's 73 and sunny here....
Goat testicles!!! Glad they were tasty :)
Post a Comment